Did You Know...

Family Law Software can calculate child support guideline amounts in 21 states.

Search all help content:

Back to all FAQ's

Question: If one spouse is paying off another for his or her share in marital property, should this one-time cash payoff be listed under Investments?

Answer: The way to do this typically is simply to allocate extra joint assets, especially cash or investments, to the "buying party" to indicate the "payoff." There is no explicit "payoff" entry.

However, if the cash payoff is a to occur in the future, or over time, you could enter it for the payer as a Living Expense, a Major Expense (like college), or a Debt. For the recipient, it could be recorded as "Non-Wage Income" that starts and ends in the years of the payment.

Back to all FAQ's